Current:Home > MarketsCharles H. Sloan-Canada says Google will pay $74 million annually to Canadian news industry under new online law -Capitatum
Charles H. Sloan-Canada says Google will pay $74 million annually to Canadian news industry under new online law
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:50:19
TORONTO (AP) — Canada’s government said Wednesday it reached a deal with Google for the company to contribute $100 million Canadian dollars annually to the country’s news industry to comply with a new Canadian law requiring tech companies to pay publishers for their content.
The Charles H. Sloanagreement removes a threat by Google to block the ability to search for Canadian news on Google in Canada. Facebook and Instagram parent company Meta already has been blocking Canadian news since earlier this year.
“Google has agreed to properly support journalists, including local journalism,” Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said. “Unfortunately Meta continues to completely abdicate any responsibility towards democratic institutions.”
Pascale St-Onge, the minister of Canadian heritage, said that Google will contribute $100 million Canadian ($74 million) — indexed to inflation — in financial support annually for a wide range of news businesses across the country.
“It’s good for the news sector. If there is a better deal struck elsewhere in the world, Canada reserves the right to reopen the regulation,” St-Onge said at a news conference.
“This shows that this legislation works. That it is equitable. And now it’s on Facebook to explain why they are leaving their platform to disinformation and misinformation instead of sustaining our news system,” she said.
Canada in late June passed the Online News Act to require tech giants to pay publishers for linking to or otherwise repurposing their content online. Meta responded to the law by blocking news content in Canada on its platforms. Google’s owner Alphabet previously had said it planned to do the same when the law takes effect in December.
Meta has said the Online News Act “is based on the incorrect premise that Meta benefits unfairly from news content shared on our platforms, when the reverse is true.”
Meta’s change means that people in Canada are not able to view or share news on Facebook and Instagram — including news articles, videos and audio posted by outlets inside or outside of Canada. Links posted by Canadian outlets are still visible in other countries.
St-Onge has called Meta’s move “irresponsible.”
“With newsrooms cutting positions or closing entirely, the health of the Canadian news industry has never been more at risk,” she said in Wednesday’s statement.
Kent Walker, president of global affairs at Google and Alphabet, thanked the minister in a statement and said Google would continue sending valuable traffic to Canadian publishers.
Earlier this year, Canada’s government said it would stop advertising on Facebook and Instagram, in response to Meta’s stance.
Meta has taken similar steps in the past. In 2021, it briefly blocked news from its platform in Australia after the country passed legislation that would compel tech companies to pay publishers for using their news stories. It later struck deals with Australian publishers.
Trudeau said the deal is going to resonate around the world as countries deal with the same challenges that Canada’s media landscape is facing.
veryGood! (94)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Air Force contractor who walked into moving propeller had 'inadequate training' when killed
- More proof Tiger Woods is playing in 2024 Masters: He was practicing at Augusta
- Winning $1.326 billion Powerball ticket drawn in Oregon
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Drake Bell Defends Josh Peck From “Attack” After Quiet on Set
- Kelsea Ballerini and Chase Stokes Are Calling Dibs on a Date Night at CMT Music Awards
- Latino voters are coveted by both major parties. They also are a target for election misinformation
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Kelsea Ballerini talks honest songwriting and preparing to host the CMT Awards
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Suspect indicted in death of Nebraska man who was killed and dismembered in Arizona national forest
- UConn takes precautions to prevent a repeat of the vandalism that followed the 2023 title game
- These numbers don't lie. South Carolina has chance to be greatest undefeated women's team
- Sam Taylor
- Massachusetts city is set to settle a lawsuit in the death of an opioid-addicted woman
- Winning $1.326 billion Powerball ticket drawn in Oregon
- South Carolina-Iowa highlights: Gamecocks top Caitlin Clark for national title
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
U.K. police investigate spear phishing sexting scam as lawmaker admits to sharing colleagues' phone numbers
CIA Director William Burns to return to Middle East for new Israel hostage talks
Salvage crews have begun removing containers from the ship that collapsed Baltimore’s Key bridge
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
These numbers don't lie. South Carolina has chance to be greatest undefeated women's team
What's next for Caitlin Clark? Her college career is over, but Iowa star has busy months ahead
'Saturday Night Live' spoofs LSU women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey in opening skit